I am at a total loss of words to describe the carnage that has taken place in Sialkot so I am just sticking with the facts. A mob lynched — yes, lynched — two teenage brothers right in the middle of a bustling market and right in front of a police contingent. The brothers were accused of robbery and the police watched the proceedings from the sidelines instead of arresting the “accused” — and those who were torturing them.

The insane crowd’s lust for violence did not end at the death of these brothers. They continued thrashing their dead bodies with sticks and stones and then hanged them on a water tank. That’s what we call vigilante justice — or mob lynching, to be precise.

The episode would have gone unnoticed but thanks to the ubiquitous mobile phones; the gory footage found its way to a TV channel and then became a national news.

[cubic:36dpyqnx][/cubic:36dpyqnx]

The heartless lynching happened in central Punjab, a place that has a long history of mob violence. First it was the minorities — Christians and Ahmadis — but now they have also turned against their so-called Muslim brothers. The supreme court has finally taken notice of this barbaric episode but one wonders what happened to the people who killed two Christian brothers in Faisalabad, a central Punjab city, last month. And what about the mob lynching and gutting of a Christian colony in Gojra, another central Punjab town. Have they caught the perpetrators of a church burning in Sialkot, the same city where this lynching took place?

What’s the progress on the massacre of Ahamdis in Lahore, the heart of Punjab, in May? I’ve failed to find any satisfactory answers. I’ve discussed it before that central Punjab has emerged as one of the most volatile regions of Pakistan, especially for the minorities. Local mosques and religious leaders in central Punjab spew hatred and incite illiterate and ignorant crowds to attack Christians and Ahmadis. During the infamous Kashmir Jihad, the same mullahs used to recruit from these mosques. This needs to be stopped and only the intellectual classes of Punjab can do this. It’s about time that they come out of their self-indulgent cocoons.