The judicial inquiry of the Sialkot lynching case has revealed that doctors tampered with evidences, Rescue 1122 staff did not rescue the victims and the police facilitated the lynching of the two Butt brothers.

The report said medical officer Dr Farooq and investigation officer Shamsher Bokhari had destroyed vital evidence related to the case.

The report has suggested a proper medical check up (autopsy) of the deceased brothers be done after exhuming their bodies. It also recommended stern action against the medical and investigation officers who tampered with evidences and the due process of law.

It has also emerged that the Sialkot Police and the Rescue 1122 agency reportedly blamed each other for the August 15 incident while recording their statements to the inquiry committee.

According to officials who were part of the investigations, suspended officers of Rescue 1122’s told them that the agency had repeatedly asked Saddar police officials to take custody of the brothers who had been handed over to Rescue 1122 officials by the locals. According to one report, some Rescue staffs even participated in tying the brothers up.

“The brothers were brought to the rescue office on Daska Road by people who said they were suspects in an armed robbery,” said an official to the probe team.

Rescue officials, while recording their statements, also said Sialkot Saddar Police reached the crime scene after undue delay, an act which by any standard would constitute criminal negligence and dereliction of duties.

It was a result of this delay that led the infuriated mob to storm into the Rescue 1122 station and take the two suspects out on the road where they were lynched, said officials of the inquiry committee.

The judicial inquiry was conducted at the direction of the Supreme Court who took suo moto notice of the gory incident after the Punjab administration failed to conduct due process of law.

The Supreme Court began hearing the Sialkot lynching case in Islamabad today, after an inquiry report prepared by Justice (retired) Kazim Malik was submitted before the three-member bench headed by the Chief Justice.

The report asserted that the brothers were not robbers.

The Supreme Court adjourned the hearing into the Sialkot lynching case till tomorrow.