The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Thursday issued no-objection certificate (NOC) to former Pakistan team captain Shahid Khan Afridi along with a fine of Rs 4.5 million for breach of various clauses of the central contract.
Afridi appeared before the PCB disciplinary committee at the National Cricket Academy (NCA). Sultan Rana was chairman of the committee while Shafiq Ahmed and Usman Wahla were members. PCB legal advisor Taffazul Rizvi assisted the committee.
Talking to the media at the NCA before disciplinary committee decision, Afridi refused to apologise for his alleged violation of the PCB’s code of conduct but said that he was ready to accept any verdict of the committee. Afridi admitted that he had committed mistakes but said circumstances had forced him to do those things. “I admit I have made mistakes but the circumstances forced me to do things. But I have not apologised to the committee,” he said.
Afridi explained his position and clarified his conduct reported in the media recently before the committee which resulted in suspension of his central contract and revocation of his NOC. After detailed hearing of approximately three and half an hour, Afridi regretted and pleaded guilty and requested the committee to decide the matter. The committee appreciated Afridi for recognising his indiscretion and was treating the same as a mitigating circumstance.
For reasons, to be announced later through a detailed order, the committee has recommended to impose a fine of Rs 4.5 million for breach of various clauses of the central contract and code of conduct. As Afridi has been awarded penalties, therefore on his request, the committee recommended to the PCB that he would be issued an NOC for playing for Hampshire. Chairman PCB Ijaz Butt has endorsed the recommendations of the disciplinary committee.
On May 31, the PCB announced an action being initiated against Afridi for breaches the central contract signed with the PCB. He breached clause 2.1.4 of the central contract by announcing his retirement in the manner he did and clause 4.4 by passing disparaging remarks about the board and its officials. He was issued a show-cause notice and his central contract was suspended. Consequently, all NOCs granted to him were revoked.