Giving a new dimension to the ongoing struggle to cope with terrorism, student volunteers from the Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) have been trained in rescuing people and giving them emergency medical relief in the hour of crisis.

The first batch of rescuers developed by an educational institution on a voluntarily basis comprises of 12 students, including 4 women. They have not only passed their professional training, given to the recruits of rescue 1122, but are all set to launch a small-scale rescue response team for the university campus as well as for the surrounding areas.

Special Hotline: The LUMS management has set up a hotline on their PABX system, so people can call these volunteers in case of an emergency. These volunteers have already demonstrated their skills in different sports events on campus, mock drills as well as a professional competition of rescuers organised recently by the Rescue 1122.

EMS: The university management has also developed an Emergency Management Services (EMS) club inside the campus to spread awareness about the importance of emergency relief training. This would not only help the volunteers rescue students inside the campus but also give them an opportunity to serve humanity if a natural calamity like the 2005 earthquake hits the country.

The administration of LUMS has fully supported its students in this regard and has assigned them an office on campus to perform their services.

The 12-member rescue team is well equipped, and can treat everything from treating minor injuries or medical problems to providing life-saving care to patients. They are also trained to properly assist those with critical injuries and transport them to hospitals in an ambulance if needed. LUMS EMS Head, Babar Asad Khan told Daily Times that 12 BS Honours students including eight boys and four girls got the emergency rescue training at Rescue 1122 training centres and they are trained to deal with emergencies like bomb blasts, earthquakes, fire incidents etc. He said they have expanded their network by setting up a volunteers club on campus, and already more than a hundred students have joined this club. EMS Advisor Zubair Anees told Daily Times that he and his colleagues have learnt how to provide a wide spectrum of emergency care, including oxygen therapy, bleeding control, automated defibrillation, and assistance with basic medications. One of the rescuers Rania Nasir told Daily Times that she realised that women could also play a pivotal role in rescue missions, so she came forward as a volunteer.

“I knew right from the beginning that it would not be easy for me to complete this training, but I decided it was worth doing for the sake of humanity, that is why I joined the first ever batch of professional rescuers,” she said, urging other universities to do the same.

LUMS Vice Chancellor Dr Ahmad Jaan Durrani told Daily Times that these students were trained to cope with any emergency situation.

Daily Times