Former Pakistani President General (r) Pervez Musharraf has confessed that he committed a mistake by removing Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry from the office of Chief Justice of Pakistan. “Now, after seeing the incidents following his dismissal from the office I realized that I shouldn’t have done that,” former military ruler told the attendees of his lecture held at Trinity University, San Antonio, Texas. “It was a mistake to send the reference against him to Supreme Judicial Council, though it was my constitutional and legal obligation… The reference resulted in a chaos in the country... Probably I won’t commit such things in future,” he was quoted as saying in front of an audience of more than 2,000 people. “Neither had I any personal enmity with Justice Chaudhry when i removed him nor have I at the moment,” Musharraf said, adding that he had been left alone with no other choice but to depose CJP in order to prevent the democratic system of that time. It is pertinent to mention that the then president of Pakistan Pervez Musharraf deposed CJP Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry on November 9, 2007 with sixty other judges of Supreme Court as CJP had pronounced the imposition of emergency on November 3, 2007 as illegal and violation of the constitution of Pakistan.

By: The Nation