Thread: Afridi handed T20 captaincy

Afridi handed T20 captaincy

Shahid Afridi has been named captain for the World Twenty20 in the Caribbean to to defend the title. The 30-year-old was named player of the tournament in the inaugural World Twenty20 in 2007 and starred in last year's competition playing a pivotal role in Pakistan's final win.
    The all-rounder was among a number of players who received severe sanctions following an inquiry into Pakistan's dismal display against Australia. The flamboyant Afridi was caught on camera tampering with the ball in January, during a one-day match in Perth, and was subsequently banned for two Twenty20 Internationals by the International Cricket Council.
    The Pakistan Cricket Board fined the all-rounder £23,800 as he brought the game and his country into disrepute, and was placed on a six-month probation programme. However, in an extraordinary turnaround, he has now been named skipper following a meeting with PCR chairman Ijaz Butt in Lahore.

[cubic:lnd3uu44][/cubic:lnd3uu44]

Realpaki

Allah Safe Pakistan..

Re: Afridi handed T20 captaincy

ll-rounder Shahid Afridi will captain Pakistan at this year’s Twenty20 World Cup in West Indies, the Pakistan Cricket Board said on Tuesday.
    Afridi’s re-appointment to the captaincy came days after he was fined three million rupees and placed on six months probation after being found guilty of ball-tampering on the recent tour of Australia.
    “It is a big honour for me and I will try to live up to the expectations of the board and nation,” Afridi told reporters.
    The 30-year-old Afridi has played 26 tests, 293 one-day internationals and 27 T20 internationals.
    He was Pakistan’s Twenty20 captain until the ball-tampering incident in February during the fifth one-dayer against Australia in Perth for which he was handed a two-match ban.
    The captaincy was handed to Afridi on the same day he received a top civilian honour, the President’s Pride of Performance award.

[cubic:76mnaxmf][/cubic:76mnaxmf]

“It is a big day for me to get the award and also the captaincy, I am very happy,” Afridi said.
    Pakistan won the T20 World Cup under the captaincy of Younus Khan last year in England and Afridi played a key role in the success, winning man-of-the-match awards in the semi-final and final.
    “I will try to lead by example and not let down my supporters and fans. We have the capability of defending our title,” Afridi said.
    Senior all-rounder Abdul Razzaq, another captaincy candidate, said there were no hard feelings.
    “I think he is the best choice to lead the team now because he has the ability to lead by example and gel the team. I will give him my wholehearted support. Afridi being captain is a good thing for Pakistan cricket,” Razzaq told Reuters.
    While the issue of captaincy may now be put on the backburner until the completion of the World Twenty20, the board will be at it again with two important series lined up and a captain for tests and ODIs yet to be named.
    The PCB this month banned and fined seven players including Afridi following the team’s poor performances in Australia.

[bv:76mnaxmf][/bv:76mnaxmf]
    Realpaki

Allah Safe Pakistan..