HYDERABAD (Agencies) – Indian riot police fired rubber bullets and used teargas to disperse Hindu mob during anti-Muslim riots that continued for the fourth consecutive day on Tuesday despite imposition of an indefinite curfew in the southern Indian IT hub of Hyderabad.
Two people have so far been killed and dozens others injured and 110 people arrested in connection with the clashes, which spread to other parts of the city on Tuesday. The city remained tense due to communal riots, which started on Saturday when a Hindu group replaced Muslim flags with Hindu ones on the streets during a festival. The Muslims had decorated the bazars with flags to celebrate Eid Miladun Nabi in the old city.

The riots spread to new areas even as shoot-at-sight orders were issued in the old city and indefinite curfew was imposed in the areas under eight more police stations. The curfew in the riot-hit old city of Hyderabad continued Tuesday without relaxation. All 17 police stations under the south zone were brought under curfew Monday night to control the situation.
On Tuesday, clashes broke out when Hindu hardline group Bajrang Dal and other fanatic Hindu organisations held two big public processions to celebrate the birth of the Hindu monkey god Hanuman. The first rally was taken out from Gowliguda to Secunderabad while the second from Jumaratbazar to Begumbazar.

When the first rally reached Musheerabad and Bholakpur, some Hindu extremists attacked the houses and properties of Muslims, leading to clashes between the two sides. Both sides also pelted stones and attacked each other with sticks.
Indian security forces used teargas, resorted to baton-charge and fired into the air to disperse the people. They also fired shots into the air when the second procession was passing through the Begumbazar, where both sides also clashed with each other.
Police said sporadic clashes between Hindus and Muslims had been reported from the Aliabad, Lal Darwaza, Gowlipura and Shahalibanda areas of the old city.